Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I like to move it, move it!

I love my little mp3 player. I spent the first 5 weeks or so of my running w/o one and now I don't think I could live without it! Occasionally, when I'm running and the music stops for what seems like a usual amount of time, I admit, I start to panic a little. But then I hear that sweet sound coming through the headphones and everything is okay with the world once again. And no, it's not that I don't enjoy the whole experience of running, hearing your own footfalls on the asphalt, your breathing, nature all around you, because I do! Those things just don't get my ass moving as much as a great upbeat song can. I hear a strong beat and my legs are moving whether or not they really want to. It's out of my hands! And that's the way I like it. I can use all the help I can get! Last night I started week 9 which is walk 1, run 15, walk 1, run 3. I thought that after running 12 mins that 15 mins would be pretty similar. I don't know why but I just wasn't intimidated by this week at all. But it was hard! I was really grateful for my mp3 player and I don't regret the purchase at all! The only problem I have with listening to music while I run is that I look like a dork most of the time. I want to sing along, I want to dance- while I'm running. This don't work, those activities just do not mesh together. So here I am all out of breathe trying to at least mouth the words, which not only throws my whole breathing pattern off, it also makes me look like a moron! So, I make myself stop doing that, which is a effort, believe it or not, but then I start to do little hand motions to parts of the songs! What is wrong with me! Just stop it! I am such a nerd. But I'm a nerd who needs to grove!

4comments:

Blogger Lara said...

Oh dear, it looks like you're getting some comment spam - either that or a bunch of very helpful but very shy people :( I don't have Blogger but maybe they have some advice for handling spam on their homepage.

Anyway, I too have just discovered mp3 and you are right that it helps along the run in alot of ways! You are doing great! I know that each time I increased my minutes running, my body seemed to know exactly when I was going beyond the last week's time, and then it became a struggle. Good thing you've got something to groove to :)

Wed Aug 24, 07:36:00 PM  
Anonymous E said...

I do the exact same "mouthing the words" thing when I run. I can't seem to stop myself! I've had to take a week off due to an odd ankle injurty...not sure what I did, but it's swollen and really sore. I can't believe how much I actually miss it! And, I have no idea how far I'm setting myself back in my progress. I figure I'll just dig back in when I can, doing the distance that I can...stinks...

Wed Aug 24, 08:42:00 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

You need to disallow annonymous comments... ugh comment spam!

you are doing fantastic, i'm jealous! What program are you following?

Fri Aug 26, 07:26:00 AM  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick said...

Thanks for visiting my site. I like your write up. Great work with the running.

Thu Sep 08, 11:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home