Friday, August 12, 2005

IT'S FRIDAY!

Last nights run was hard. I know I am just a newbie, and to all you runners who are running 5-20 miles at a time, I do feel sheepish admitting a 2 mile run was hard. However, it won't stop me from saying it was difficult and I don't want to run no more! I'm just kidding. Kind of. I do want to run, but it's those difficult times that make you question things. Like, will I really be able stick to this? Will I really be able to run more than 2 miles and live to tell about it? Am I really doing this because I WANT TO? What's wrong with me?!?!?
Ok, really, it's not all that bad. I did finish my run with a smile because I was proud that I stuck through it even though I really wanted to just-stop running-right-now! And I am getting faster, although faster to me, is really, really slow to most other people. But damn it, I feel good anyway! Oh yeah, and the best part- IT"S FRIDAY!!!

2comments:

Anonymous E said...

How cool that we are both hitting two miles at the same time. I'm with you, though...last night about killed me. I'm always embarrassed to admit it because it seems so...well, not far. :) Just keep reminding yourself that two months ago, you had trouble with one minute...now, you are having trouble with two miles...twenty minutes. That's an accomplishment for which you should be very proud!

Oh, my program is the "couch to 5k" program on coolrunning.com. Which one are you doing?

Fri Aug 12, 07:44:00 AM  
Blogger jeanne said...

Fantastic!!!

Please DO NOT feel sheepish at all. I've only been running since April 2005, and I think running two miles is a HUGE accomplishment.

The constant barrage of negative thoughts is ... well, pretty constant for me, whether it's 3 miles or 18 ... there are all kinds of tricks to use to turn them off. You gotta distract your mind by looking at stuff, or thinking of other things, songs, jokes, whatever!

Mostly, if I'm really starting to hate it, I just slow waaaay down.

And supposedly, once you get past 2 miles (which is right around where your body is just starting to understand what the hell you are doing to it!), it gets easier. Supposedly.

So hang in there, and remember to take it very very slow. Stay at 2 miles for a week or two, and don't do it every day, then maybe run 2 miles and walk the third for a while.

Definitely keep a log, and remember to drink a lot of water, and get enough sleep.

You are doing great!

Mon Aug 15, 06:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home