Friday, August 19, 2005

Recap: Wed-Friday

I have to run tonight and I'm really looking forward to it. It increases to 12m run, 1 m walk, 7m run, 1min walk. Yikes! Sounds scary to me! Like always, I will be looking back on the last week and saying, wow, 9mins was easy! Ha ha. I know I can do it, so it's really more exciting to me than scary. Yesterday I took a walk at night, and my legs were itching to run. It was the weirdest feeling. They were like, hey, stop this wimpy walking business, lets get running! But I didn't since I had my boyfriend walking with me. PLUS, it was not scheduled for me to run that day, so I figured it would be better to follow my plan. Now I just know today it will be time to run and my legs won't be having any of it. I hope not, but if that's the case I will just push through it.

Okay, it is now the Thursday. Last night it was raining and lightning out so I couldn't run outdoors. I really wanted to run in the rain, last time I did it was an amazing experience. But the lightning looked pretty scary so I decided to nix that idea. Of course I wasn't about to let a little rain keep me from running. So off to the gym I went, mp3 player in hand, to check out the treadmill. I've been on a treadmill plenty of times in my life but never ran on one. This was a whole new thing for me, but I was looking forward to seeing my distance as I ran and my pace. I only have a simple stopwatch for when I am running outside, (I know what I am asking for Christmas this year!) The treadmill is a very interesting experience, that's for sure. At first it felt very weird to have the belt moving beneath my feet. It felt awkward that I couldn't just run as fast as I wanted to at any given moment. It was a matter of increasing the speed, decreasing the speed, which was annoying at first. But soon I got used to it and found my rhythm. I had to turn up my mp3 player to drown out the lady vacuuming the carpet in the gym but other than that it wasn't as boring as I thought it would be. What I really didn't like is how much easier it felt to run on the treadmill than outside. I put the machine on a 1% incline because I read somewhere that that stimulates running outdoors a little better. But that didn't help much. I actually ran longer than my schedule called for! It was a strange thing to keep running when I knew I should be stopping. But I just didn't feel challenged enough, so I keep going. It wasn't a all together bad experience, it was just different. I guess next time I will have to run faster than normal to get a better workout. Another thing that was weird was the time just flew by! If only it was like that every time! I noticed that I felt a slight pain in my knees that usually isn't there though. I wonder if that is because the treadmill or just from running.

Fast forward again to Friday. I don't know why I am not posting these after I write them! Today was my weigh-in and I am disappointed. Majorly disappointed. I worked out pretty hard this week and I ate pretty decent too. Every night I went to bed tired from a good workout of some sort. I felt skinnier too! My pants seem to fit better, and I just look thinner. I was sooooo sure I would be down another pound or two. But instead I gained a pound! What the.....?!?!?! That is just so discouraging. I've floated around the same weight now since the middle of July. And I'm doing working out harder than before! Go figures, you try harder and the weight just stops coming off. I know I haven't been eating perfectly, I do love my food, but I don't expect overnight results. I just want a slow yet steady decrease. Is that so much to ask for? You wouldn't think so!

4comments:

Blogger Lara said...

You are really progressing along! I know each time I increased my running minutes my body and mind would both give a little protest.

I'm sorry you were disappointed by the scale. I have not lost any weight since starting to run but I definitely think I look and feel better.

Fri Aug 19, 09:19:00 AM  
Blogger jeanne said...

You are doing fantastic! Sometimes it takes a week for weight loss to show up, so try not to get discouraged.
Good for you using the treadmill. I haven't managed that trick yet! And your clothes are fitting better! That's impressive!!

Sat Aug 20, 03:24:00 PM  
Anonymous E said...

The old cliche of muscle weighing more than fat always makes me feel temporarily better when that happens with the scale! You're doing great! I've taken a few days off due to some weird swollen ankle pain that I've got going on...Not sure what I did, but it hurts! Tomorrow, I'm supposed to run 25 minutes! Yikes!

Sat Aug 20, 08:46:00 PM  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

I liked your comment that your "legs were itching to run." I can identify with that--it's a good feeling. It’s easy to be disappointed with fluctuating weight, but behind the scenes every run or walk is improving your health and heart.

Run on!

Mon Aug 29, 12:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home