Friday, September 02, 2005

My first 5K

A few days ago I signed up for a local 5k race! I am sooooooooooo NERVOUS!! I am alone in this. Completely alone. I do not know any runners who can make this easier on me, outside of online. I wish I had a runners group but there are none in my area. Is this a good idea? Too soon? I want to have something to strive for and this seems like a great motivational tool. I'm also hoping maybe to meet some runners from the area. It could happen and be great or a complete and total disaster. Well, I have about 7 weeks and if all goes as planned I should be running 3 miles without walking breaks in about 4 weeks. I can always walk a little of it if need be, right? I'm actually not worried at all about the running, it's the race itself that scares me. I am an easily intimidated person who tends to shy away from the unknown. You definitely couldn't call me a social butterfly. But I can do this! Right????

In other running news I have found a new program, the C25K plan on coolrunning.com, and so far it is working out great. E, it's so weird that you suggested that, cuz that's exactly what I was doing!I decided to start it in week 6, so now I am on week 7. Yesterday I actually ran 25 minutes straight! I was so, so, so, slow but I did it!

One thing about running that always surprises me so much is how hard it always is in the beginning of the run. I usually don't even feel good in the run until I'm about 10 to 15 minutes into it. It always worries me in the beginning when my breathing isn't quite right, and my legs don't seem to want to move. But then, bam! All of a sudden I hit my stride and everything is great! Must remember that for future runs!

5comments:

Blogger Lara said...

Good for you for signing up for the 5K!! Finally getting up the courage to do my first race really ignited my running. I love racing now, even though I am definitely a back of packer - doesn't bother me a bit, I'm so happy to be out there! You very well may make some race day friends! Pay attention to who you seem to be pacing with and then strike up a chat with them afterwards, they may be new running partners in the making.

And 25 minutes is great, don't worry about being slow - just enjoy the run!

Wed Sep 07, 04:55:00 PM  
Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick said...

After years of no running I ran my first 10k in a new city. Knew not a soul. Had a blast. You will too. Just relax and have fun.

Like you I always start to enjoy things anywhere from 20-30 minutes into my actual run/race.

Thu Sep 08, 05:03:00 PM  
Anonymous E said...

Yea, Chris! I want to sign up for my first, too. Since we can't be together to do it in real life, we should try to time our races to be around the same time (virtual running partners!). We've been going about the same distance all along, we can do our first 5K's together, too! What is the date of your race? I'll try to find something in my area...

BTW...you can SO do this! Without a doubt. I just know you can.

Fri Sep 09, 05:54:00 AM  
Blogger jeanne said...

Terrific! Congrats on running 25 minutes! That is sooo exciting! And yes, you can totally do the 5k. My first 5k was July 4, and I didn't know a soul either and I was scared to death. It was very very exciting (afterwards--remember that word--AFTER!) And OF COURSE it doesn't matter if you walk! I'm with Lara, don't try to race, just run, and slow down when you need to.

A friend once told me that it takes your body at least 15 minutes to realize that its off the couch and figure out what you are doing to it--so those first few minutes are just your body saying, WTF??? Then it gets it!

Fri Sep 09, 08:31:00 PM  
Anonymous E said...

Hey, Chris. I'll look around here for a race. There's one Oct. 1, but I can't do that weekend (and it's a bit too soon!!!). I'll see if there's one mid month.
To answer your question, I track by minutes, but one day I clocked my distance in my car to see how far I was going...I'm slow as molasses!

Sat Sep 10, 01:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home