Friday, October 21, 2005

Funky town

Today I am in a major funk. Why? I have no idea. Things are going great, it's FRIDAY, I am starting a new job soon that will not only pay more, but it's also what I went to school for. The job I'm at now has nothing to do with what I want to do for a living. Plus, I have to drive out of my way to get here and my new job is walking distance from my house. I know and like all the people I will be working with and I will be a part owner of the business. Now how cool is that? I should be happy right? Why am I not happy?!?! Uhh, just one of those days I guess.

I went for a two mile run last night and did a few dumbbell exercises afterward. Everytime I run for less than 3 miles I assume that the run will feel light and breezy and ya know what? It never is. I don't know if that is a mind trick I play on myself or if it's just reality. Do I just over think how easy it will be and then when it's a little work I am surprised? No clue.

I have discovered that my lungs do not like the cold weather. I had some trouble breathing and it took me longer than usual to catch my breathe when I was finished. Highly annoying seeing how it's going to get much colder and I do not like running on the treadmill.

Last night I felt I needed some inspiration so I went down to the bookstore and bought The Complete book of Running For Women. So far I really like it. Expect the part where she writes something along the lines of, "...going a relaxed 10 minute per mile pace....". Hah! I can't even run a 10 mpm pace yet, and if I did it would not be relaxing. I'm slow. Can't help but say it. I feel so slow. Last night I ran my 2 miles in 24:33 and that took effort. I know, I know, don't worry about speed right now, work on distance. I really want to do that, but I can't help but beat myself up every now and then. But on a positive note, I have started a new program. Hal Higdon's 10k novice program. I am on week 2 so this Sunday I run 3.5 miles! I am excited to up my mileage and soon be able to run 6 miles! See? Up and down, up and down. That has been my whole day. I think I will relax with a few glasses of wine tonight. Ahhh, that sounds so good!

2comments:

Blogger Lara said...

10K! Awesome!! It took me a long time before I worked up the nerve to work up to that distance. Hal's got some good plans, too.

I feel it too when I have those first couple of runs in the cold air. You'll get accustomed. In the frigid weather I usually wear a silk balaclave so I can cover my nose and mouth without impeding my breathing.

Good luck on your new job!

Sat Oct 22, 05:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's why I hate most running books and took so long to think of myself as a 'real runner' - I'm about the same speed you are, and there seems to be this assumption that if you can't zoom about for miles and miles you're not worth noticing! End of rant... I did a Hal higdon novice half marathon training program this year, they're great :) (and I finished in 2.39, which is about 7.5min kms/12 min miles, but I don't care LOL I still did it and that's what it's all about)
LBTEPA

Sun Oct 23, 05:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home