Saturday, October 08, 2005

Jogger or runner?

I was asked the other day, sitting at a bar, do you run or jog? Hmmmm, well, what's the difference? Hell, I figured the term "jogging" was a old term for running that has kind of went out of style with the ugly jogging suits people used to wear. But if there really is a difference then I guess I'm a jogger. As it was explained to me, jogging is slower than running. I am not a fast runner, but while I am running I don't feel like I am moving slow. I am going at a comfortable pace for my short little legs but I do not feel that I'm just shuffling along. It takes some work on my part, some dedication, some effort. As I progress I think eventually my current pace might feel like shuffling but for now I feel well, fast enough. Does that make sense? I don't know what I am exactly trying to say, all I know is that when a mental picture of jogging comes in my head I think of some girl with a little ponytail on her head swishing back in forth in the cutest way, curled up at the end just so, pink jogging suit and a pink headband, be-bopping along on the her merry little way down the street, enjoying herself and her little jog around the neighborhood. That's not what I do. I sweat a lot, I breathe a lot, and I push myself, to run. So, am I a jogger? I don't think so! I will say, I understand it's all a personal point of view, and how you look at the term jog. And really, I don't care either way. I just thought it was a very peculiar thing to hear. I guess in some people books, I haven't earned the term runner yet. But I refuse to call myself a jogger! I just couldn't bring myself to wear that cute little pink headband!

3comments:

Blogger Lara said...

I love the jogger description - I'm actually envisioning Farrah Fawcett!!

Don't get caught up in the semantics of it all and don't let anyone pigeonhole you into a label that is based on their definitions and not yours.

So many of us have struggled with the idea of saying we are "runners" because we're not sure if we meet some undefined criteria. That's the crap that sucks the joy out of running and is not worth a second of your time.

I would totally frequent a different bar ;)

Sat Oct 08, 04:15:00 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

You are a RUNNER, and don't let anyone define you for you! (imho, of course.) You are an athlete! Being a runner or a jogger has nothing to do with speed. You run, hence, you're a runner.

Fri Oct 14, 11:25:00 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

VTo me, a "jogger," just jogs, whereas a "runner" has a reason - such as improving their health, training, whatever. I realize that's pretty arbitrary. Heck, sometimes I run pretty slowly, but I can always tell you why: I may be recovering after a hard workout the day before, for example.

A better comment might be that jogging is passive, but running is active.

Thu Oct 20, 09:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home