Friday, December 02, 2005

INDOOR RUNNING SUCKS!

I can't believe its been a month since I last posted. Strangely it feels like it has been a year. I feel like I have lost touch with everything involving running. I still read some of the running blogs I used to, but mostly I avoid them because they make me feel like a smuchk. I am still running but it's just not the same as it was before. I have lost my motivation, lost my groove. I don't understand why either. UGH! Maybe it's the winter time that has me bummed. I get really depressed in the winter, the lack of sunshine?, and everything in life just takes a dive bomb. I think it also has to do with running on a treadmill inside a completely un-stimulating old building. Before the cold set in I had run maybe twice on a treadmill, but now it's EVERY SINGLE RUN. It's horrible but I just can't bring myself to run outside. ITS COLD OUT THERE PEOPLE! And I don't have the neccessary clothes for outdoor running. It would mean new shoes, new jacket, new tights, new pants..... VERY EXPENSIVE! I just spent 60 dollars on running clothes and that was only a shirt and pants! Okay, whine, whine, whine, I know. But I hate the cold. Hate it! I am the world's biggest baby when it comes to the cold. I have to fight with myself just to change into my running clothes before going to the gym. Our house doesn't have heating vents upstairs so our bedrooms are pretty cold. Leaving the warm couch and venturing upstairs and getting naked only to put on thin little running clothes is not too appealing. But ya know what? I've been doing it. However, I could not keep on my 10k schedule. I just couldn't run longer than 4 miles on the treadmill! The longest I ran on one was 4.5 miles and that took me over an hour. ON A TREADMILL! It was torture. I got discouraged. I almost gave up. I missed the next long run. Then I missed my 2 mile run. Then I said, what the hell are you doing! Get back there and get running! I am not going let the winter completely sabatoge my running. But I have decided to put the 10k training on the back burner. I am still pretty new to running and I want to concentrate on getting faster on my 3 mile runs. I don't want to end up hating running because I pushed too hard too fast. Maybe for some people this would sound whimpy, but for me, it works. When I made this decision I felt immediatly better about running and I felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders. So, I'm not giving up! And come spring I'm going to step it up a notch. But for now, I am going to get to know this running thing a little better before I aim too high.

2comments:

Blogger Lara said...

I'm probably no one to give advice as I am just crawling out of a running flat spot, and I can see how running on a treadmill all time could suck the joy out of it. We spend most of the winter in the 20'sF and I'm generally able to keep warm with a base of silk longjohns, fleece, and a simple nylon windbreaker (which, if it's not windy usually comes off eventually). You'll always feel cold at the start - you should, if you feel warm at the start you will feel too hot after not too long. I have found some decent running gear at TJ Maxx and Walmart for cheap. Anyway, all this is to say, if you're able to get outside for some runs you might end up feeling reinvigorated about it. Good luck :)

Mon Dec 05, 07:14:00 AM  
Blogger jeanne said...

"I don't want to end up hating running because I pushed too hard too fast."
I hear ya! I think i'm in the midst of doing just that. Stick with the 5k's for a while.

And I'm with Lara. I layer too much and I'm always hot. Well, always meaning twice. Twice that i've run in the cold.

(And can i make a wee suggestion on your blog, which is awesome in every respect?
Paragraphs! They would help this old lady read! :) )

Tue Dec 06, 08:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home